Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Christmas Snake Oil anyone ?. (V expensive mains extensionblock).

On 27/12/2017 08:52, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Woody
wrote:

news
On 2017-12-26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this Uncle Russ Andrews wearing his Santa Disguise?
Â* Brian

Yes.

It's utter ****, of course.

I went to wire a boiler up for the sort of ****** that buys this sort
of stuff.

Two massive speakers in the lounge and in the garage at the other
side of the lounge wall was a roll of speaker wire from one of the
speakers wrapped around the fuse box.

It was explained to me that "This was to keep both lengths of speaker
wire the same as it sounds better".

The next time I work for such a ****** I shall offer "the same cable
length at the roomstat" as an optional extra for £100. I have no
doubt they will pay for it once I have explained to them how "the
induction current due to having a longer switched live than neutral
cable at the stat may alter the hysteresis operation of the room stat
and reduce it's performance".

Of course I'll stick on my magic meter to show this working (well a
mutlimeter) but I think that they will happily cough up an extra £100
for a much better wired roomstat.

I remember the start of this crap over 40 years ago.

A that thime Litz wire was very popular for various 'sound'
improvements. It was reported in ISTR HFN that a Frenchman had gone on
record that by using Litz wire between the front doorbell push and the
bell itself significantly improvedÂ* the "tintinabular sonority" or the
bell when it rang.

Tintin probably sums it up.

But he was Belgian, not French, surely ?.