Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

Hi all,

As there seem to be a few appliance questions around, it prompted me
to get the panels thoughts / opinions / advice on a portable cleaner
for my 87 year old Mum for use on the stairs (specifically
potentially). Whilst she is actually pretty strong and reasonably
agile, something lighter and easier to hold / use than a corded
cleaner would be appreciated.

I think she already has cleaners upstairs and down but nothing that is
easy (for her) to use on the stairs (Inc the Henry etc).

The stairs are fully carpeted and the treads fairly big / broad, in
case that makes any difference. [1]

We have a Dyson V6 Animal but only really use that on the floor in the
kitchen or for the car(s). FWIW that can be both hand held or upright
use whereas I believe there are two different tools in the Gtech range
and similar re 'others'.

The inlaws have a Vax cordless upright and they seem to consider it
ok.

A couple of mates have had the Dysons but now swear by the Gtechs (but
generally the full 'Air Ram' rather than the 'Power floor' models?

So, this is really just for the stairs but something that could also
be used as an upright could also be good.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Are the Gtech Air Ram models suitable for stair use as she would
then probably use that as an 'all-rounder' (assuming it would be
better than say a Dyson V6 etc).

p.s. Can you get stairs for the Gtechs (when it is out of warranty) as
easily as you generally can for the Dysons?