Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which first, the mortise or tenon?

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:34:34 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/27/2017 2:13 PM, Michael wrote:
I normally make the mortise on the mortising machine and then use the table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first last week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

Also, I broke the pin on the mortising machine that keeps the handle in position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks.

Mortises are first cut and tenons are cut to fit the mortise.

Leon, I thought you'd say "cut mortises, then insert dominoes." ;-)