Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Strength between c-channel and square tubing

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:10:15 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 01:44:50 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:45:16 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 12/26/2017 3:18 PM, Wasantha wrote:
I would like to know for a machine frame(textile dryer) which channel
is more
suitable for carrying load.
1.6" U-Channel
2.4" Square Tubing

Is this for an industrial or commercial setting? If so, you should not
be the one making the decision. It is such a naive question that it
shows that you are nowhere near qualified enough. No offense, I hope -
just trying to keep you out of trouble.

True enough.

---

Vertical or horizontal installation? formed channel or extruded?
aluminum or steel? what alloy? what kind of load? static or cyclic?
What thickness?

All elase being equal I would say 2.4 inch tubing, but seldome in
these kinds of questions is "all else equal", or the question would
not need to be even considered, much less asked, as the answer is SO
obvious.

2.4" tubing is going to be a LOT sronger than 1.6" U-channel, in
bending, in torsion, in compression and in tension.

--
Ed Huntress