Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Why, when we are all digital with subtitles...

He is but that is not the reason for signing. Many reasons exist for signing
as not everyone can read fast enough. If you notice the way signed programs
go out its normally on the repeat or a later transmission, not on the
original. The reason you are not allowed to hide these is because of the
stupid way bandwidth is managed by Freeview, trading it off across the
multiplexed channels. it would in reality be very easy to generate a signed
graphic or real person and use digital techniques to mix it in or insert
it. However AD and subtitles use little more bandwidth than a normal
transmission and can be accommodated, signing has either to be part of the
transmission or not, If it was separate, more bandwidth would be needed,
costing more dosh, and more to the point reducing somebody elses bandwidth.

As I always said about digital TV, the system is run for pack em in get the
dosh in to the people who run it, rather than make it have redundant
capacity to allow for such extras as optional signing.

If your attitude to disability shown here is the same as in the real world,
how you have survived so long eludes me! :-)
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
On 27/12/17 08:21, alan_m wrote:
On 27/12/2017 07:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
And what is your problem? You can turn off AD certainly,

I believe a certain broadcaster screwed up recently and had only the AD
audio track.

In those cases you need to have some tolerance or maybe you need to just
stick a bit of tape over it.

I suspect that the original poster is writing about Digital Onscreen
Graphics

No, About gesticulatng gurning gargoyles which are signing for deaf people
who are too stupid to use subtitles