Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus price/performance hardware comparison

trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, December 24, 2017 at 3:03:54 PM UTC-5, harry newton wrote:
He who is rbowman said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 11:54:58 -0700:

I'm thinking of picking up a few more of these phablets, but some of the
kids I'll be giving them to may want Apple devices, so that's why I ran the
hardware comparison just now.

You have hit on it. Apple fans, including kids swayed by their peers or
Apple advertising, will accept nothing but Apple, regardless of the cost.

While I have never bought a phablet before, it does seem that these LG
Stylo 3 Plus phones I bought as last-minute stocking stuffers are one fifth
the price of the equivalent iPhone 7 Plus based on the hardware specs.

Since I had only expected an equivalent iPhone to cost about double the
price of an equivalent Android phone, I was amazed that these seemingly
comparable devices are so vastly different in price.

They clearly have a significant difference, the Apple has a 50%
higher clock rate. That likely means it;s on a newer smaller pitch
process that would also bring lower power. It's like looking at
two PCs, that both have the same memory and hard drive size but
one has a CPU that's 50% faster and saying they are seemingly
the same, why should one cost a lot more than the other?
How much that matters in the real world on these phones who knows,
because it's complex. One has more CPUs, so potentially they could
make up for some of it, but to what extent, who knows.

Bought a iPhone 5s last year. $160. Endless updating. I don't like the WiFi
search. Sometimes it skips stations. When my IPhone switches to 3G it
really slows down, where my old Motorola worked fine on 3G, 3G only phone.
iPhone takes good pictures. Speed seems irrelevant for my needs. I can
print from IPhone, not my androids. I wan to install FTP and see what files
I can see and transfer. I'm currently using old IPad, but usually use
Samsung Note tablet.

Greg