Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Why, when we are all digital with subtitles...

On 27/12/2017 07:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
And what is your problem? You can turn off AD certainly,

I believe a certain broadcaster screwed up recently and had only the AD
audio track.

In those cases you need to have some tolerance or maybe you need to just
stick a bit of tape over it.

I suspect that the original poster is writing about Digital Onscreen
Graphics which cannot be turned off. On some channels they can be quite
subtle and just show the channel identity. On other channels they can be
much more annoying being animated and/or include pop-up advertising for
the next or future programs. Children's channels are often the worst
offenders, after all we must educate them that unnecessary crap graphics
all over the screen is acceptable and normal. Once accepted it will
become normal to have on-screen banner advertisements during the
programs rather than have advertising breaks.

Some people cannot read fast enough to keep up either.

The broadcasters will have to tell the actors to mumble slower
Surely the sub-titles only reflect what is being said on screen? Missing
out some dialogue is likely to cause confusion.

Many Deaf people don't think much of modern subtitles compared to the old
teletext kind, which were bigger and easier to read.

On boxes I've owned the display of sub-titles have had user readability
options. Perhaps those complaining should consider their choice of box
more carefully.