Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default Can I use the old flexible conduit?

On 12/23/2017 10:44 AM, Iggy wrote:
replying to Deguza, Iggy wrote:
I agree with dpb. It may be flexible conduit, but that practice is very
rare.

Why do you think that?
Particularly in the '50s.

Armored cable is the best stuff and actually keeps the unexposed wires
brand new.

Best?
Better than what

Every armored cable I've re-cut for longer ends that had been cut-down
over the decades were always like new in everyway, my oldest so far were
80-years old.

True for most any wiring.

Unless you need a larger gauge wire, I'd either leave what's
there or cut the ends back to re-locate the boxes. However, your friend is
wrong about the Romex replacement idea, you don't know if you now have
or will
have cable chewing rodents in the future.

So never use Romex?
Did "your friend" suggest using exposed Romex?

Always upgrade and never
downgrade.

So my house, which was originally rigid pipe, should only have rigid
pipe extensions?

---