Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Norman Wells[_5_] Norman Wells[_5_] is offline

Default OT question

On 25/12/17 09:10, Norman Wells wrote:
On 24/12/17 22:53, Norman Wells wrote:
On 24/12/2017 22:01, Indy Jess John wrote:

Admittedly we have got nothing better to describe the speed of
light, but it does explain why that speed when calculated isn't a
conveniently memorable number.

I think what he's asking is why it's a constant, ie what makes it
so, and why it is what it is rather than something else?

Got any answer?

Because if it wasnt what it is, the world wouldn't be what it is, and
in all likelihood he wouldn't be wherever here is to ask such damn
fool questions.

But it's a philosophical question.Â* And I thought from your name that
you might have an answer.

I do, and that is it.

Anyway, aren't all philosophical questions damn fool questions?

No, often they are the most fundamental questions of all.

Even so, it doesn't stop them being damn fool questions.

You see, questions require answers that actually answer the questions.
If you have to employ a philosopher, especially on Christmas Day when
they charge triple time, to spend hours beating about the bush, that's
proof enough to me that they're damn fool questions that were pointless
to ask in the first place.

You are asking the basic question - why is the world the way it is?

I am? Oh, OK, you're the philosopher.

And seeking an answer based on a notion of causality - that is, because
something *caused* it to be that way.

Causality, however is a human notion and not necessarily ubiquitous.

If you insist that it is, you will arrive at notions of a Creator, be it
a Big Bang, or a weird supernatural Intelligence. Merely in order to
complete a chain of causality.

What you really mean then is 'God knows!'.

The answer is to not ask a question framed in terms of normal relative
reality about the nature of absolute reality.

It's as silly as asking what color B flat is.

Well, it's green. Any fool knows that.

At least the middle one is. I don't know about octaves up or down. I
never go there.

The neatest 'explanation' is Taoism. The Tao is that which exists
through itself. I.e. it perpetuates itself. The nature of the Tao is
whatever yiu consider the world to be made from.

In this case electromagnetic entities in a space time causality matrix.

well its different from God and his Angels, but not much.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked. But thanks, and a happy Christmas
anyway.