chibiabos

Default Nuances of a cinder block retaining wall

In article , Steve
wrote:

You don't mention where you are in Calif. but I have had several homes on
San Diego and San Diego Co. and any wall 3 ft or taller requires a building
permit..

Thanks, Steve. I'm in Santa Barbara County, outside any city limits. I
checked. Structures under 4 feet high don't need permits.

Normally I wouldn't even mention this since I do a lot without a permit..
However I do know there is a reason for a permit and proper building plans
and inspection of division and retaining walls..

A improperly built wall can be very dangerous.. I happen to know of some
children who were crushed when a wall collapsed on to them.. All they were
doing was, a kid thing, swinging on a gate..

Your masonary retaining wall requires better planning and engineering than
you are going to find in a news group..

I was merely asking the folks here if there were any major flaws in my
plan.

I've looked through most of my home improvement books, and online as
well. They all agree that my footing is adequate for a wall like this
but none of them mention rebar, size, number of bars, etc. For all I
know, rebar isn't necessary. I plan to use it, anyway.

-chib

--
(email: change out to in)