Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Perforated tape and sprocket pulleys?

Is it possible to determine from records whether the transient that
caused the skip was due to a brief nearby ship launching or a longer
lasting storm surge?
-jsw

The background is the anomaly surrounding the surge of 26/27 Nov 1924 on
my page (an update should go there today or tomorrow)
http://diverse.4mg.com/solent.htm
The official record did not agree with contemporaneous press reports,
nor the meteorology of the day. I should say I'm involved with a couple
of a couple of academics at the Southampton National Oceanography Centre
.. Trying to get to the bottom of this 1924 event, and then the GIGO
business of "return periods" for marine surge flooding events ,ie
inadvertently downplaying the risk in effect.