Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default New upvc porch - fittings and ideas

In article 20171223155547.0b8858ff@Mars,
Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 10:43:36 +0000 (GMT)
charles wrote:

What I was planning for a "strong" fence post was to fit a lenght of
timber inside the square UPVC section. I'd probably have to plane it
to size, though.
Has anyone tried this?

You'd have to weld the ends shut, and seal any fixing holes. Anyway
what's the point? Just use pressure treated timber, or galvanised steel
if it really needs some strength.

The point?

Our present small fence (to stop people driving into the ditch in front of
the property) is made with pressure treated uprights. Unfortunately, they
are not always visible (under trees) to delivery drivers, who have managed
to hit them, or at least the horizontal timbers they support. This has
ressulted in the main uprights breaking - they neeed to be replaced. I
wanted to make the uprights a bit more visible - I can't really paint
pressure teated timber.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England