Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chatter in One Axis Only

On 12/22/2017 12:21 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm starting to get some chatter on the KMB1 when profile cutting along
the Y-axis, but not when cutting along the X-axis.Â* It doesn't matter
whether its climb milling or conventional milling, and it doesn't matter
what direction.Â* My first guess is X-Axis ball screw assembly and or
bearings.

Does not look like a pleasant job to get it out.

I wonder. Hope more likely that maybe I just need to adjust the gibs. I
have never adjusted them, and to be honest I never considered whether or
not the previous owner ever did since I bought the machine from a third
party on behalf of his widow.

Now how to adjust the gibs. Hmmm... The X axis seems pretty straight
forward. There is a visible screw at each end of the gib. Not sure how
to get the feel for it though. On my little machines I can disconnect
the lead screw and push the table around by hand, but the table on this
thing is significantly heavier than that. Then there is the Y axis. It
looks like the gib and adjustment screws must be hidden under the wipers.