Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_] ARW[_2_] is offline

Default Hall, stairs and landing light switches

On 21/12/2017 12:18, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:14:22 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) explained :
For example, my hall lighting can be switched from the front door, half
way along the hall were the door to the living room is, at the far end
to the kitchen, and upstairs on the landing. (you can have as many
intermediates as you want.)

'Intermediate switch' is a key word for the OP to look up where a light
is switched on or off from more than one location. You can install as
many intermediate switches on an existing two-way switched circuit as
might be needed.

He is aware of that, and mentioned such.

I believe his question is entirely about regulations; whether you can
have multiple downstairs light fittings on an upstairs circuit.

That's how I read it.

And of course it is perfectly acceptable if the CU is properly labelled
as to what each MCB controls.

There is also a myth that you cannot have a lightswitch fed from two
different MCBs despite 90% of UK houses having got this type of
installation in the hallway switch.

--
Adam