Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power went out - generator kicked on - but only half the house is lit up?

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 01:00:23 -0600, "David" wrote:

If it's a 12 volt line it won't be 267 volts.
If it's 12 volts it won't electrocute anyone, and if it's lkess than
50 volts it is considered "low voltage" by the NEC (I believe it is 36
volts in Canadian code) and is pretty much "unregulated".
"Low Voltage" lighting circuits donot require a permitor a licensed
electrician. (as long as the supply is limittes to some insane level
like 1000VA)

"Low voltage" is not really defined in the NEC. It may mean less than
600 volts in general wiring circuits. If we are actually talking about
what most people consider low voltage, it is 15 volts in things like
pool and landscape lights and 30v in other control and signaling
circuits.
This really gets defined in article 725 and has more to do with
available current than voltage but this is what most people think of
when they say low voltage.
Class 1 circuits are the ones that can go up to 1000va but they also
have to use 600v rated wiring methods and look pretty much like your
regular line voltage wiring. In fact you can run class 1 circuits in
the same raceway as line voltage,
Class 2 is the 30v or less, current limited power supply circuits that
you can use bell wire on and get away with lots of other stuff.
Class 3 is still current limited but higher voltage and wired similar
to class 2.

These are all still regulated by the NEC tho and a lot of
jurisdictions are finally getting serious about enforcement. Florida
has a specialty license for low voltage installers that includes
communication circuits, landscape lighting, sprinklers and other
similar stuff. That mostly affects "for hire" services but some AHJs
want a homeowner to get a permit, even for low voltage.
They just want the money I suppose. They are the same ones who say you
should get a permit to replace a wall switch.

I am an inspector and I call bull**** on that.