Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Embossing Die

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:09:03 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

On 20/12/17 23:46, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Wax film is a traditional medium for getting separation between the
punch and the die. It used to be available commercially, but you can
make your own from 75% paraffin wax and 25% beeswax. If you have
access to microcrystalline wax, you can try that, but I haven't
worked
with it....

--
Ed Huntress

Toilet ring wax is readily available and also makes paraffin wax less
brittle when cold.

I've heard of toilet ring wax being available in the US and apparently
it is quite good as a lubricant for metal spinning but I mentioned it to
someone in plumbing in the UK and he wondered if you were still in the
stone age in the US as all those applications in the UK/Europe would be
using flexible rubber seals these days. What is the benefit of the wax seal.

It complies with rougher surfaces, including rough tile. It's still
available, but the newer system is a hollow ring of rubber that you
fill with silicone rubber caulking just before you use it.

--
Ed Huntress