Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Embossing Die

On 20/12/17 21:46, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 11:54:13 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm not sure how this will work out, but I am going to try it. This is
strictly a fun personal project to find out.

The goal is a two sided embossing die for paper. One is a positive and
the other is a negative....
1. Machine pocket with all the features raised at the bottom of the
pocket. 2hrs apx

2. Spray it with UMR.

3. Make a backing plate the size of the pocket with some screws set in
it for anchoring.

4. Fill the pocket with casting resin

It is not unknown to press metal (even deep forming) by a die against a block of
smooth neoprene, so maybe the hard resin isn't a necessity.
The 'machine pocket' step might be followed by some variation on polishing
(electropolishing or abrasive blasting or buffing with polishing compound).
One could do a quickie test on some simple-to-machine shape in a scrap, first.

Heck, one could experiment pressing paper with a coin against various backings.

I've done that pressing a coin into 0.05mm stainless steel tool wrapping
foil and IIRC a firm rubber disc and it gave quite a decent impression
in the foil.