Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green

On 12/20/2017 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:28:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/20/2017 12:44 AM, Margaret wrote:
replying to Bri Gipson, Margaret wrote:
I went for several years with a green light and wondered the same thing.
Then
one day I noticed a yellow light and ordered a filter. Dont know how long
it had been that way but by the time I got the new filter, it was red.Â* At
that time, I did not use my water as much as I do now. I am currently
refilling my water bottles, of which I drink at least 5/day, and so need a
filter every 6 mo.Â* So I say wait, if it looks and tastes good, and ice &
water is working well.Â* :-).Â* I was also told by a refrigerator
repairman that
it goes by gallons used, not just time passed. Â*Let me know what you
do.Â* :-)

13 years later . . .
While on the subject of refrigerator filters, we have a Samsung and the
filters are expensive. I bought a couple from discountfilters.com.
Cheaper, but they do not last very long so the overall cost will be the
same. I'm going back to the OEM filters. .

How do you mean? Do you sense a taste difference? Otherwise you change then by the light that is gallon based or by time, so I don't see how a different filter, the fridge would know.

A light goes on by gallons but the cheap filter worked fine originally
but it started to taste like city water long before the light would go
on the the OEM filter so I changed it out. I guess they don't have as
much carbon inside.