Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:28:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/20/2017 12:44 AM, Margaret wrote:
replying to Bri Gipson, Margaret wrote:
I went for several years with a green light and wondered the same thing..
Then
one day I noticed a yellow light and ordered a filter. Dont know how long
it had been that way but by the time I got the new filter, it was red.Â* At
that time, I did not use my water as much as I do now. I am currently
refilling my water bottles, of which I drink at least 5/day, and so need a
filter every 6 mo.Â* So I say wait, if it looks and tastes good, and ice &
water is working well.Â* :-).Â* I was also told by a refrigerator
repairman that
it goes by gallons used, not just time passed. Â*Let me know what you
do.Â* :-)

13 years later . . .
While on the subject of refrigerator filters, we have a Samsung and the
filters are expensive. I bought a couple from discountfilters.com.
Cheaper, but they do not last very long so the overall cost will be the
same. I'm going back to the OEM filters. .

How do you mean? Do you sense a taste difference? Otherwise you change then by the light that is gallon based or by time, so I don't see how a different filter, the fridge would know.