Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Power went out - generator kicked on - but only half the house islit up?

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 8:47:21 AM UTC-5, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
On 20/12/17 01:57, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
At first it wouldn't go on automatically - so that may be a clue.
I had to switch it to automatic from manual and after a dozen of those
switches, it went on automatically.

Thast is your best clue. Maybe the switch was dirty inside. Maybe it
had two sets of contacts, one fort each half of the house, and only one
set was dirty.

But I have a Ham Radio license. Power wiring is a closed book to me. I
would expect that the switches would pull in a relay, maybe two. You
need to call in a licensed electrician, one with a license for your
State, not a cheap Chinese one. Any unlicensed fiddling could void your
fire insurance. It may kill a few people too, but look at the more
important effect (in your eyes) first.

BTW, a guy with solar panels wanted a 12-volt line running from the
panels to a socket in the wall. It sounds like a good idea. The group
told him it was against the regulations, but he could see no reason not
to do it himself. I didn't have posting rights, or I would have told
him the same as above. It would void his fire insurance, as well as
earning himself a hefty fine or jail.

Doug.

Can you provide us with an actual example where a homeowner did their own repairs and where they used an unlicensed electrician and it voided their insurance policy? Or even where they refused to pay a claim? Also, are Chinese bad electricians? Doesn't even make sense as a bad stereotype.