Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris B[_2_] Chris B[_2_] is offline

Default OT Is it me?

On 20/12/2017 09:44, Woody wrote:

My apologies if this is a repeat, but I saw recently that the ASA has
decreed that adverts can no longer show a woman doing household chores
such as cleaning or washing up, and that all families shown (two
parent/two children-type) must either be all black or mixed race with
a black father/white mother, never the other way around. Now I know
about it I spot it every time!

Any idea where you saw this? I was horrified so I thought I would do
some research on the ASA. They have indeed done a study

https://www.asa.org.uk/asset/FA0CDD1...892D70C53C5E7/

and are proposing new rules but one of the Key findings of the report is

It would be inappropriate and unrealistic to prevent ads
from, for instance, depicting a woman cleaning,

but
new standards on gender stereotypes might elaborate
on the types of treatments that might be problematic
€” for example:
An ad which depicts family members creating mess
while a woman has sole responsibility for cleaning it up.
An ad that suggests an activity is inappropriate for
a girl because it is stereotypically associated with boys
or vice versa.
An ad that features a man trying and failing to undertake
simple parental or household tasks.

So it looks like someone somewhere is misreporting what the ASA has ruled

I could not find any info about ethnic origin of families.

--
Chris B (News)