Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default favorite way to attach baseboard

On 12/19/17 6:29 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 12/19/2017 7:10 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

air stapler will do the job but the look is not so good

brad nailer might be the best way to go

has anyone here tried a palm nailer to do baseboard

I've used standard finish nails over the decades but have recently
used 16-gauge brads from a gun more and more. They work fine as long
as the wall is straight, the trim is straight, and you hit solid
substance inside the wall -- they just don't have the ability to
pull wayward parts together and hold well. I'll even admit to using
a grabby construction adhesive in some projects and just counted on
the brads to hold until it set. Just don't try to take things apart
later...

My guns shoot 16ga instead of 18ga. The thicker wire and bigger head
make for very good holding and pulling power.
As with manually driven finish nails, you still need good technique.
The same tricks you can use with manually hammering finish nails can
also be used with a nail gun.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)