Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

On 2007-01-19 12:13, Peter ****er wrote:
Is it really true that turning on a microwave with nothing in it will
break it?

Derp.

I've never had one blow up because of that, but its best avoided.

There may be am increased risk of arcing the dielectric window that covers
the end of the waveguide.

So far - I've yet to actually buy a microwave, I've done well out of simply
removing a damaged dielectric window and carrying on. Carbonised food
spatter is a far more common cause, but I wouldn't leave an empty microwave
running longer than it took to realise my mistake.