Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Kerf Maker, Fast and easy to make

On 12/17/17 11:10 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/15/2017 1:30 PM, Leon wrote:
About 8~9 years ago Bridge City Tools came out with a fine little jig
that enabled you to cut perfect fitting dados with just about any
width blade or router bit.Â* That is as long as the blade or bit cuts
narrower than the width of the dado.

I bought that expensive little jig and have had great success when
using it.

Seems there is a shop made version now and probably the absolute
simplest that I have seen.

Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZWlLPw0HI

OK,Â* Yet another and has to be the absolute simplest to make.

It's simply a "stick" and "a screw".

Brought to you by Brian who used to post here.

I will say that it may not work as well for large stock but maybe it will!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LpgWEk-O0

BTW I am not sure why he made a cut out, it seems to serve no purpose.

For that matter, the entire wood block serves no purpose. The business
part is the screw which is simply duplicating the width of the kerf. I
know for a fact that most of my full kerf blades are dead-nuts-on 1/8",
so you could probably just use one of those brass set-up blocks or cut a
scrap to 1/8".

That is, if you always want the same "tight" fit.
Having the block give you adjustability for fit tightness and other
blades.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)