Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Kerf Maker, Fast and easy to make

On 12/16/2017 10:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/16/2017 7:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 4:33:00 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 12/16/2017 2:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 2:33:35 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/16/17 11:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 12/15/2017 6:52 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 13:30:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

About 8~9 years ago Bridge City Tools came out with a fine
little jig that enabled you to cut perfect fitting dados with
just about any width blade or router bit.Â* That is as long as
the blade or bit cuts narrower than the width of the dado.

They still make them.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/layout-tools/km-1-kerfmaker.html

I clicked and wandered a little.Â* Apparently there is a larger version
with a magnetic reference stop that will be produced too.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...kerfmaker.html

I bought that expensive little jig and have had great success
when using it.

Seems there is a shop made version now and probably the
absolute simplest that I have seen.

Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZWlLPw0HI

Neat.Â* A lot cheaper, too.

Big time.Â* I was inquiring many years ago about the capacity prior
to ordering the original kerfmaker,Â* It had limitations in width.
Looks like I can build a bigger one for 2 X stock.

Why stop there?Â* I made one some years ago that will do at least 4",
maybe more, don't recall at the moment.Â* Why so wide?Â* Because I
often do half laps in fairly wide stock and can use my kerf maker for
them.

Mine is much fancier too, mahogany and brass, drop dead gorgeousÂ*

I do a lot of half-laps, too.Â* I'll definitely make one of these.
Not sure I trust the guy's washer grip to hold the adjustment.
I just think it would be too easy to slip if bumped.Â* I would probably
make the half being held in place a tiny bit thicker to make sure it
holds.Â* Or even use a wider washer with a thin rubber gasket.

That was my thought too. I have some Grade 8 washers left over from my
Soap Box Derby days. 1/4" hole, 1.25" diameter. Very sturdy. My head
went right to them as soon as I saw the tiny washer he was using.

Keep in mind a larger washer will disperse the pressure over a larger
area and will require you to tighten the thumb screw even tighter.
I think like Mike indicated a ribber washer under the small washer might
be the trick if it does not hold.

I was thinking that I would use a wing nut that is proportional to the
washer to help apply the pressure more evenly.

I have a few of these too:

http://screwcrew.com/wp-content/uplo...3513000632.jpg

Well, that should do it!Â* LOL

Thinking about that further, the washer will tighten down at an angle
and will try to slip/push the pieces apart.

Back to the rubber washer idea. :!)