Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Kerf Maker, Fast and easy to make

On 12/17/2017 6:15 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 4:37:20 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 12/16/2017 3:32 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/16/2017 2:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 2:33:35 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/16/17 11:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

[snip]

That was my thought too. I have some Grade 8 washers left over from my
Soap Box Derby days. 1/4" hole, 1.25" diameter. Very sturdy. My head
went right to them as soon as I saw the tiny washer he was using.

Keep in mind a larger washer will disperse the pressure over a larger
area and will require you to tighten the thumb screw even tighter.
I think like Mike indicated a ribber washer under the small washer might
be the trick if it does not hold.

Might even consider one of the "star" lock washers under the small flat
washer. Or slightly bending the washer so the the center is higher than
the outer edges.

I was thinking I would take a spade/forstner bit and recess under the washer a touch on the fixed side...

Great idea. The star washer would probably work well but after time
might "chew up" the moveable side enough that it might form "pre sets"
that you'd be fighting to get it set dead nuts on.

It wouldn't take much of an inset with the Forstner at all; just a scosch.