Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT BBC/ PMQs

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 14/12/2017 03:09, Bill Wright wrote:
On 13/12/2017 20:46, Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:
Just watched PMQs on the BBC.
One topic was rough sleepers & why there are so many.
No-one answered the obvious.
Immigrants.
Both sleeping rough and taking up social housing.

harry - try getting out more. Find your local charity which helps with
rough sleepers. Your council should be able to help you find one. Talk
them and report back. You might actually learn something for once.

Are you in denial that a housing shortage contributes to sleeping rough?

And that the housing shortage has been exacerbated by immigration?

Not immigration itself, but rising population. Infrastructure build
doesn't seem to be able to keep pace with it. Obviously net immigration
is a very big factor.

The figures show that the rising population is entirely due to
immigration. Net immigration is adding to the population and so is birth
rate, but non-immigrants (and those whose family immigrated a few
generations ago) have a below replacement value birth rate, while newer
immigrants have a much higher rate. Without immigration, our population
would begin to fall.

By 'infrastructure' I include services and well as buildings. Highways,
schools, hospitals, housing, social services, the lot.

Not only is there the cost of it, but where does it go? Here, we are
already having green belt developed for housing, as there is not enough
spare non-greenbelt land. That is before any additional infrastructure is
added.

This is a separate problem to the other issue surrounding immigration,
which is that some immigrants are so different to the indigenous
population culturally that they will never integrate. We will always have
two societies in one territory now, and historically that usually leads
to strife.

Yes. People who complain about immigration are often branded racist. My
concern (other than sheer numbers) is not about colour of skin or country
of origin, but about culture. Some cultures are very close to ours, some
are more distant, but integrate well, others just don't fit in at all.

Trouble is that is hard to produce a list of those that dont fit in at all
and tell them that none of them are welcome. And even harder with
the subset of the groups who dont fit in at all who do in fact fit in
as well as anyone.