Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Kerf Maker, Fast and easy to make

On 12/16/2017 11:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 12/15/2017 6:52 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 13:30:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

About 8~9 years ago Bridge City Tools came out with a fine little jig
that enabled you to cut perfect fitting dados with just about any width
blade or router bit. That is as long as the blade or bit cuts narrower
than the width of the dado.

They still make them.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/layout-tools/km-1-kerfmaker.html

I clicked and wandered a little. Apparently there is a larger version
with a magnetic reference stop that will be produced too.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...kerfmaker.html

I bought that expensive little jig and have had great success when using
it.

Seems there is a shop made version now and probably the absolute
simplest that I have seen.

Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZWlLPw0HI

Neat. A lot cheaper, too.

Big time. I was inquiring many years ago about the capacity prior to
ordering the original kerfmaker, It had limitations in width. Looks like
I can build a bigger one for 2 X stock.

Why stop there? I made one some years ago that will do at least 4", maybe
more, don't recall at the moment. Why so wide? Because I often do half
laps in fairly wide stock and can use my kerf maker for them.

Mine is much fancier too, mahogany and brass, drop dead gorgeous

Pictures, pictures, PICTURES! Wee need to see that. ;~)

Actually I think the new Bridge City Kerfmaker will do 100 mm or about
4". But yes I might as well make one to handle stock that I could
actually use.

These kerfmakers will really come in handy for making slots for drawer
bottoms..... To bad I just thought of that after literally making
hundreds of drawers in the last several years. ;~(

Or all of those slots for the box tops and bottoms. Damn!