Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Do you have the electronics skills to design a good home made smoke machine?

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 13:52:41 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Arthur Wood posted for all of us...

All we need to find vacuum leaks in a complex engine is a smoke machine
that works. All it needs to do is...
a. Emit lots of smoke that won't clog up an engine when it condenses, and,
b. Constantly push that smoke at a couple of psi for about a half hour.

We made a smoke machine to work on a friend's kid's old bimmer but the
smoke machine we made failed to generate enough smoke. And now I need a
smoke machine.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/368...moke2.jpg.html

It seems so simple, and yes, we've seen the "cigar in a can" and "burning
rags in a can" videos but they all have problems of not generating enough
smoke for a long enough period of time.

Our machine generates smoke for a long time but not enough smoke!
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/368...moke7.jpg.html

It's 3 holes in a new paint can with glycerin in a soup can inside.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/368...moke3.jpg.html

The top has a 12VDC diesel glow plug which gets red hot. It is stuck into
the glycerin in a soup can. That generates the smoke.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/368...moke5.jpg.html

We push that smoke out regulated at about 3 psi with an air gun mounted on
the side.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/368...moke8.jpg.html

There's just not enough smoke.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/368...moke9.jpg.html

Do you know what fluid would generate more non-sticky smoke?
Or do you know of a hundred dollar smoke machine that can do the two thing?
a. Emit lots of smoke that won't clog up an engine when it condenses, and,
b. Constantly push that smoke at a couple of psi for about a half hour.

From reading replies you don't any research on anything before posting, then
you argue and ask more questions. Are you a previous poster under another
name?

You thinking the same guy that argued about tire mounting and
ballancing???

My thought too. Mabee his twin brother from a different mother???