Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Windows Between Studs?

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 11:16:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 15:44:02 GMT, JL D
m wrote:

replying to Camilo, JL D wrote:
I have a similar issue. I cannot nor do I want to cut out studs to add a
window. So I plan to install 3 narrow windows beween joists for extra light in
my kitchen. An yes, any light is better than none. By adding decorative
moldings on the outside of the 3 windows, it can absolutely look like one big
window. (I did this once before amny years ago.) Adding 2 single pane windows
for insulation is the same idea of adding interior storms to windows in an
older house- a good solution if budget doesn't allow ordering special sizes.
GO for it and don't listen to naysayers.

It may look like the windows in a prison. If you start with a 14.5"
stud bay and add another 3" or so of bucking and frame, you end up
with 11.5" or less of glass.

And what's the big deal with cutting out the studs? You have to cut an
opening all way through to the outside regardless. I don't see cutting
through a couple studs being a big deal. Other than that, the work is
similar, except tt's actually more work to do 3 small ones, than one
larger one. You need to frame and finish 3 openings instead of one.