Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Loctite help

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:47:28 -0800 (PST), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

It's a SEAL. You can't glue it. Get the right sized seals.Part
Number: SS72680-1 or Part Number: SS45588 available from Autozone.

This is a rebuilt head and somebody installed fatter valve guides. Already purchased sets from Autozone and Rockauto. They are all 0.010" too small in diameter.
Here is a decent photo:

https://www.google.com/search?q=valv...P7PR8EuVGxf-M:

It's simply matter of fixing the shell part (no sealing function) to the valve guide. All the function (sealing) happens at the rubber, spring reinforced ring. Hell, I could drill and pin it. Maybe cut a groove into the guide with a dremel and stake the thin shell into the groove. The thin copper shell cup that fits over the guide does not have to seal, only hold on and not go on an up-and-down ride with the valve.

Any suitable glues? BTW the cap (shell part) seems to be about 0.010" copper.

Thanks again.

is it possible to swage or stretch the shell? or shave/machine the
oversize guides in place? Assuming bronze guides? Make a piloted
cutter that runs in the guide and cuts the outside of the guide to
accurate size so stock seals fit next time too? Or "resize" the
oversize guide by squeezing it over a mandrel?
If not, red high temp silicone will hold them to the guide.

I had originally understood they were too big for the valve, not the
guide. Given it is the guide, even loose they will work like a "cap"
or "umbrella" seal like GM used to use, shedding MOST of the oil.

I'd go for permatex red high temp silicone if I didn't have the
capability to modify the seals or guides.