Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Loctite help

On 12/13/2017 11:47 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
It's a SEAL. You can't glue it. Get the right sized seals.Part
Number: SS72680-1 or Part Number: SS45588 available from Autozone.

This is a rebuilt head and somebody installed fatter valve guides. Already purchased sets from Autozone and Rockauto. They are all 0.010" too small in diameter.
Here is a decent photo:

https://www.google.com/search?q=valv...P7PR8EuVGxf-M:

It's simply matter of fixing the shell part (no sealing function) to the valve guide. All the function (sealing) happens at the rubber, spring reinforced ring. Hell, I could drill and pin it. Maybe cut a groove into the guide with a dremel and stake the thin shell into the groove. The thin copper shell cup that fits over the guide does not have to seal, only hold on and not go on an up-and-down ride with the valve.

Any suitable glues? BTW the cap (shell part) seems to be about 0.010" copper.

Thanks again.

Â* Ivan , I assume you have this head disassembled . I have a small
device that has a pilot that fits into a cartridge case neck and carries
a lathe bit that shaves a little off the outside , to make the case neck
a uniform thickness . Would a device like this work to shave a few
thousandths off the outside diameter of those guides ? Then you could
use one of those seal sets that are just under-size .

Â* --

Â* Snag