Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Generic name for indexed "drive" system?

On 13/12/2017 20:07, Jon Elson wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

On 13/12/2017 08:33, N_Cook wrote:
Like timing chains and toothed belts but for transfering positional info
rather than motive force plus timing.
So like the sprocket holes of Cine film or in this case more like the
central line of perforations in paper baudot tape. In this case thin
steel tape with central line of perforations, that engage with pulleys
with balls half set into drilled holes in the periphery of the pulleys,
same spacing, to engage with the holes ?

At first, I thought you were looking for "Geneva mechanism". But, if you
are looking for the belt/chain drive, then the term would be something like
"timing belt" or "sprocket drive/belt".

Jon

At one point in my past I had to show technical training 16mm films and
always wondered how they got that stop/start gate motion.
Luckily ,muchly prior to Google, there was a library there with a 2
volume pair of large books, perhaps 500 pages each, probably printed
about 1900 with each chapter devoted to one form of motion being
converted to or from another, the Manual of Mechanisms or something like
that, never seen them since.