Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boring Head Method - Taper Turning Method

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 4:57:58 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

I donwanna. LOL.

On the same work piece I need to have the tail stock in line, and
separately I need to be able to turn the longish taper. I might have
mentioned I might need to do a few of them down the road. I had already
resigned myself to building a guide rod style taper attachment when I
ran across the other offset adapter ideas like the boring head idea.
Then somebody pointed out the purpose built adapter that's dead cheap.
I reckon I can le I tend to spend way to much time thinking about these things looking for
the easiest way to get a satisfactory result.

vel that faster than I can put a guide rod taper
attachment on the lathe.

If you are concerned about the boring head not being installed exactly horizontal, try setting it by eyeball and then turning a taper. If the boring head is not installed exactly horizontal , it will not make much of an error in the taper.

Dan