View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Festool Roadshow

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 02:27:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

OK, Leon. So the saw will be in San Antonio on Saturday? Does that mean your happy self with be here, too? Are they shipping it to the local Woodcraft on 281?

On another note, I don't know what "tradesmen" use Kapex out on a jobsite. Believe me, I know many, many carpenters, trimmers, cabinet installers, remodelers, and a few custom cabinet makers. Not one, seriously, with all my contacts of 42 years of doing this work, not one uses a Kapex. Could the guys you saw be some wannabes?

No one is doubting the quality of the tool or the quality of its output.

Actually quite a few people are doubting the quality of the tool. Read
the negative reviews on Amazon--burned out motors seem to be
commonplace.

First, you simply don't need that kind of accuracy using today's current building methods. Most important, you might as well hang a neon sign on a saw like that asking someone to steal it. Most of us work out of pickups... where could you hide it?

The standard around here for trimmers is the DeWalt products. Good/great accuracy, sturdy build, parts for repair are available over the counter, and they have good service life. My last DeWalt 713 lasted 22 years. It rode from job to job in the back ofthe truck. I couldn't tell you how many thousand feet of all kinds of trim that thing cut. It still runs, but the lift handle broke and it exposed wiring so it is unsafe until I find a good ABS glue.

I loved that saw enough to run right out and get another rendition of that same model. Granted, I wouldn't let anyone else use it, and it was treated very well because I didn't want to knock it out of my adjustment. I took a lot of time to fine tune it as needed. But I paid something like $190 bucks for it, and you can replace it now for something like $220. That saw is a steal.

Anyway...

Robert