Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default De-icing the car or van with an electric fire

"NY" Wrote in message:
"Huge" wrote in message
My Dad remembers (not sure if it's fondly) building fires underneath the
fuel tanks on (not UK) army diesels in the late 40s.

I've read of this trick being used to start diesels in the Arctic.

On the face of it, building a fire under a tank of diesel appears to be
about a stupid as the Gunpowder Plotters trying to dry damp gunpowder in
front of an open fire when they were cornered after 5 November (the
gunpowder exploded, killing and injuring several of them).

But diesel is a lot less flammable than petrol because it gives off much
less vapour that petrol, and it is the vapour,

Snip

I believe the Arctic idea is to change the state of the
potentially waxy partly solid -45deg c diesel into a liquid,
rather than into a potentially explosive vapour....

;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----