Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default De-icing the car or van with an electric fire

In article , fred
wrote:
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 1:07:29 PM UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 11/12/2017 22:01, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 11/12/2017 18:00, Bill Wright wrote:
It works rather well. I have the fire on the lowest setting (1kW)
and leave it on a board on the seat for 20 minutes. It's worth the
fourpence.

Bill

Electric? A real man uses a real fire.

Cheers

Indeed. What you need is one of those paraffin sump heaters that
Halfords showed in their 1965 catalogue.

Or a VW 411 combi-estate with the auxiliary *petrol* powered heater.

Those sump heaters were utterly useless. We had one.

It used to be possible to buy a heating element that could be inserted in
the pipework from the radiator and heated the water. These things predate
aslternators, more relaible engines and better batteries.

But, I understand are still used in Scandinavia

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England