Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood floor problems

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 19:05:34 -0800 (PST), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

We had 650 sf of hardwood flooring installed last summer. The salesman assured us it would stand up to our two dogs. It didn’t. The scratches are awful.

We are considering having the floor sanded and refinished. Is there a topcoat that will be more scratch resistant? What about epoxy?

Here’s what we had installed:

https://www.flooranddecor.com/solid-...942100010.html

Often flooring is coated with a silica based clear coat, which is
supposed to resist scratching (and sanding ;-) but I think it's all UV
set and can only be done in the mill. If the flooring is scratched
now, I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it from
happening again (other than getting rid of the toenails). The dark
stain makes scratches more apparent, too.