Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boring Head Method - Taper Turning Method

On 12/11/2017 11:02 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
In my playing around I often watch videos on YouTube in the morning
while I have my coffee, or at night when I can't sleep.Â* A lot of them
have some good information in them even if some of it is a little odd or
even sometimes wrong.Â* I try to take what is good and move on.

I watched one the other day that was a sort of interesting trick for
turning tapers "between centers."Â* You put a boring head in the tail
stock.Â* For low angle tapers you can just put a center in the boring
head, and for sharper angles you can use a cup with a ball bearing in
the chuck and the boring head.Â* I get all of that and it makes sense.
What got me and the guy makign the video didn't show (or I missed it) is:

How do you make sure the center or ball bearing cup in the boring head
is on center vertically?

Since I don't have to turn a lot of tapers I thought this might be a
nice stop gap technique instead of making a taper attachment for my lathe.

You know, probably the easiest way is to put two pins in it and level
the two pines to each and to the lathe bed. My machinist level will
probably get me close enough.