Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a carrepair should take?

On 12/11/2017 5:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I hate to bring up my blown engine again, but when I had my car towed
into the shop last summer, he charged me about $90 for diagnosing the
problem -- that's his standard rate -- even though I figure he knew what
the problem was in 1 minute, just based on the sound.

What exactly is your complaint? $90 to diagnose a blown engine doesn't
sound unreasonable to me. I guess if it came in with a connecting rod
sticking out and oil pouring out, then it would be excessive. I'd do
that one for free. But otherwise, $90 seems OK to me.

Maybe. The Buick dealer tried to charge me a diagnostic fee to tell me
my heated seat did not work. Hey, that's why I came here and told you
what the problem was. They just built in a 1 hour diagnostic time for
every trip in. That and other problems made it the last GM car I ever
owned.