Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a carrepair should take?

On 12/10/2017 6:17 PM, pjp wrote:
In article ,
says...

I was told that there is a manual auto repair shops look up to find the
number of shop hours they charge for a job.

To be fair, I'm told they all charge that many hours even if it doesn't
take that many hours.

For example if three jobs are done, and even if they associate with each
other, they just add up the shop hours and then charge by the $200/hour
that the local shops all seem to charge for their shop rate.

Where can we car owners get that manual online?

I'd be surprised if any such page exists that would/could remain valid
for entire country. Too much "local" pressures etc.

The Flat Rte manual gives time, not dollars so it is valid anywhere.
Most mechanics can beat the times, especially the second time they do
the job and yes, many shops pay that rate no matter how long it takes.

What I dislike about their fixed cost repair arrangements is that if it
doesn't take that long we are giving them money for nothing but if it
takes longer you can be damn sure it's tacked onto the bill. And Yes I'm
sure if there's three separate repairs that they charge you for three
hours yet it's done in two saves you nothing but does put money in their
pocket for nothing.

Correct in most cases. If replacing a timing belt there us usually an
add on for the water pump at the same time though.

Next new car I buy will be partially determined by my negotiating legal
requirement by them about markup on parts (100% no way), cost of repair
and labor. they pay the mechanic approx. $25 Hr yet charges over $125
locally here. We are paying so management can drive a free car and owner
can generate equity in his company. neither of which makes the car any
better, e.g. last longer with fewer repairs required during it's
lifespan, for me.

Good luck with that. A good mechanic is making more than $25. Sure the
dealer is making a nice profit but you have no clue what it costs to
operate a shop.

Work at a dealer, you are not welcome in my house.

I'd not want to spend time with anyone with your attitude anyway even
though I never worked for a dealer. Without the employees you'd not be
able to by a car and get it serviced yet you refuse to socialize with
the guy that washes the car or cleans the bathrooms.