Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Continuity between neutral and earth

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Stop bickering. I mean, its supposed to be earthed, where its earthed
only affects the wiring between that earth and the one that should be
down the line toward the substation, so who really cares?

It's not that simple. If you short local earth to neutral here, it will
trip the RCD.

Neutral and earth should only be connected together where they are
designed to be. Which will vary according to your type of mains supply.
With my older installation it isn't done in my house. Presumably at the
local sub station.

If you short Neutral and Earth supply side of the RCD, it should not
trip the RCD.

No **** sherlock? Why would anyone actually do that when fitting a new
socket, etc?

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.