Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Somewhat of a Tool Score

On 12/9/17 6:12 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/9/2017 1:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/9/17 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/9/2017 12:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
I picked up a barely used Jet JBM-5 mortising machine for 200 bucks!
Not the best score I've ever achieved, but it's a pretty good deal.
I've been wanting one for a while because I'm doing more and more
projects with mortise and tenon joints, so I'm looking forward to
working with it.

Maybe if I get to doing a lot of M&T projects, this will whet my
appetite for a Domino machine.Â* I'm pretty sure I can sell this Jet
for at least what I paid for it.

There is nothing like mortise and tennon joinery.Â* It is a big step
towards quality construction.

I've done quite a few pieces with M&T and really like it, but it's
always been a slower-than-need-be process and I usually end up winging
it.Â* I look forward to discovering if this speeds up the process or not.

If you were hand cutting with chisels, it will be faster.

I bought a similar bench top Delta mortiser about 15 years ago.Â* I
can count on one hand how many times I used it.

I'm entirely open to the idea that I may not get much use out of it,
which would probably mean I had since moved on to a Domino.Â*Â* :-)

Something to consider.Â* When I bought my Domino, when they were
initially introduced, I hoped that I would use it much more often than
the mortiser.Â* That was about 10 years ago.

Now, If you want to get more into building nice furniture with strong
joints and no pocket hole screws... ;~)Â* Think about your first 5~10
mortises that you are not just playing around with but on a real
project.Â* Now consider that I am on my 3rd box of 1,800 replacement 5mm
Dominoes plus the initial 600 that came with the kit.Â* And I am well
into a case of 6mm Dominoes too.Â* Double all those Dominos and you have
both mating mortises.Â* Each mortise with the Domino takes about 3
seconds.....Â* If you have ever used a plate joiner/biscuit cutter, it is
exactly that fast, but dead on accurate.
MY Domino has paid for itself countless times in time saved.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard your infomercial so many times, I can
probably recite it verbatim. :-p
Who knows? A year from now, maybe I'll be singing the same song.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--