Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Technique for lines on boards

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 17:29:29 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 21:31:06 GMT, sawdustmaker
wrote:

I'm making some Jokers and Pegs (https://www.terapeak.com/worth/pegs-and-
jokers-board-game-6-player-hand-crafted-in-usa-complete-game/171014828318/)
game boards for a friend. What are some (easy / cheap) methods of adding
lines to the rows of holes which would look nice? Pens or painting might
bleed out and be fuzzy. Pinstriping tape after holes are drilled would mean
cutting through at each hole (lots of holes for 6 boards). Tape before
holes are drilled might mean the tape would pull up.
The boards are baltic birch, if that matters.

The thing I'd be tempted to try if I didn't want to attempt a proper
inlay job would be to route grooves, fill with colored epoxy, sand
flat, then drill peg holes.

I wouldn't attempt an inlay but IMO, you're on the right track. I
think laminated stained/died pieces would look cool.