Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Somewhat of a Tool Score

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 13:46:01 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/9/17 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/9/2017 12:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
I picked up a barely used Jet JBM-5 mortising machine for 200 bucks!
Not the best score I've ever achieved, but it's a pretty good deal.
I've been wanting one for a while because I'm doing more and more
projects with mortise and tenon joints, so I'm looking forward to
working with it.

Maybe if I get to doing a lot of M&T projects, this will whet my
appetite for a Domino machine.* I'm pretty sure I can sell this Jet
for at least what I paid for it.

There is nothing like mortise and tennon joinery.* It is a big step
towards quality construction.

I've done quite a few pieces with M&T and really like it, but it's
always been a slower-than-need-be process and I usually end up winging
it. I look forward to discovering if this speeds up the process or not.

I bought a similar bench top Delta
mortiser about 15 years ago.* I can count on one hand how many times I
used it.

I'm entirely open to the idea that I may not get much use out of it,
which would probably mean I had since moved on to a Domino. :-)

A very cool machine but it and the chisels must be in tip top
condition to give you good results and to enjoy using the machine.
Mortises less than 3/8" can be tricky and you should proceed with
caution to avoid clogging and breaking the inner bit.

In the mean time I'll have some fun with it.

Cool!

If you have not used one much you are going to want to be sure the
chisels have a polished mirror finish.* There is a lot of friction as
they cut the wood and like your bench chisels, a mirror finish is
desired.* There is also a cone shaped stone for your drill to work the
end of the chisel end.

The 3 chisels that came with it are super-duper sharp.
Replacements aren't that much, but I'll look into that stone.

The special bits can be a problem. They are designed to carry the wood
up and out the chisel. The tip of the bit needs to be set just right
for the chisel, not too far extended and not rubbing the chisel. Like
Leon said keep the chisels sharp.

I have seen the chisels flex so that the mortise looks like it was cut
at an angle even after making everything squared up.

My current preference is a mortise and tenon jig, everything set up
properly stays squared up, or a primo tool like Leon uses, the newest
domino maker.