Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Motor: Is it possible? Is it likely?

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 5:09:23 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
Some time back I was given a 230V 5HP DeWalt radial arm saw. I took it for
possible salvage. I already have a fair Delta 230V RAS. I didn't really
"know" what I wanted to do with it at the time. This is no light weight or
middle weight saw like we are used to associating with DeWalt. This thing
is a beast. It took four of us to pick it up and move it, and none of us
were weaklings.

I'd been playing with ideas for various metal cutting saws. One idea was an
overhead tracked circular saw. The idea is simply to be able to cut down
larger stock than I can manage on my band saw. Preferably a little closer
to final dimensions than I feel safe attempting with my little cheap band
saw. Then I thought I already had a saw that might just do the job.

Now before the wealthy amongst you tell me to just go out and buy a saw for
the purpose... I do this as much for the experience and education as for
any financial gain. In my searching I found that atleast one company
already makes a RAS for metal cutting. SO!!!!!!! The premise is already
proven.

I took a look at the DeWalt because the guy who gave it to me said it was
"converted" to run on single phase.

If your near there, you could always go to a DeWalt factory site to ask and make sure. Here's one at: 7957 Central Ave; Capitol Heights, Maryland 20743 - (301) 333-0863