Mike Hartigan

Default WATER SOFTNER DIAGNOSTIC - minor segue but not completely off topic

In article , says...

"Mike Hartigan" wrote
[snip]
Mine is an older unit with a mechanical timer (6 days seems adequate,

judging by the 'slimy'
feel of the showers. It's been doing it's job for 13+ years with no

attention other than
rinsing the brine tank annually. On the few occasions that it has run

out of salt, the
'slimy' feel was conspicuously missing from my showers (it's amazing

how I've grown to like
that), so clearly it was not softening the water. Is the converse

true? In other words, is
the mere presence of 'slimy' showers enough to tell me that it's

working? Or does that just
mean that there's salt in the water?

Now dammit Mike, you should say... 'that soft slippery smooth feelin
wives and girlfriends love'..... but yes, when it's not there the unit
isn't providing softened water. Softened water doesn't have salt in it,
a softener only adds sodium to the water. And for those that think salt
and slimy, put some salt in your water and wash your hands in it and see
if you feel soft slippery smooth or sticky. Mike I've been trying to
edgacate these folks for years and now look at what you've gone'n done!

Yeah, I know. When I said 'salt', I meant 'sodium'. Someone here (it may have been you)
explained it all before, so I know things like when it feels as if you can't rinse, it's not
that the natural oils that hard water rips from from your skin are left there by the softened
water, it's that you can't rinse! (ok, maybe I'm overstating it, but you get the idea)

If you have a mechanical timer, then you don't have a turbine. What is
the unit doing or not doing?

I'm not detecting any change from when it was new. Call me a skeptic, but 13 years seems
like a long time for a beast like this to function with virtually zero maintenance. My
question is - is the mere presence of the 'slimy' feeling enough to assure me that the unit
is, indeed, working? Perhaps not at peak efficiency, but at least working?

It sounds like it doesn't have one of them
automatic salt adders for the salt tank. I can draw one up if you'll
fund the R&D. Or we can assign the wife the salt reproduction duties.

"salt reproduction duties" ????

Gary
Quality Water Associates