Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dr.s.lartius@gmail.com is offline

Default Continuity between neutral and earth

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 22:21:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
wrote

I have broken into a ring main to extend it to another room.
Essentially cutting the return from one socket and then
connecting each side of the extended ring to one of the cut ends.

I test the extended ring and it was sound (ie only continuity
between the corresponding pairs of wire). I have just connected
it to the main ring and did a quick continuity check. Live is ok
but it seems that neutral (blue) and earth now have continuity.
Given I tested the extended ring it would appear that the
original ring suffered this problem. However if this was the
case wouldn't the RCd at the MCU have tripped before.

ISTM that a person who does not know that neutral and
earth MUST be connected together in at least one place
is a person who is not qualified to do such work

Thats wrong when the connection is back in the sub station.

You should, before responding, read carefully what has previously been written, and think about it. When neutral and earth are connected together at the sub-station, they are connected together at that place. I did NOT put anything about "connected together within the premises".

and the resulting installation is at risk of being
in breach of the Building Regulations.

Nope.

Yes. A person who does not know that the voltage and the resistance between neutral and earth should each be small is a person who is likely not to know all of the proper safe wiring practices that the Regulations require.

See http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27182...-h/27182-h.htm, VI.

Irrelevant to your claim.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google, no spell-check. |
Mail: - or as Reply-To |