Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bad smell from washing machine

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 00:14:35 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 08/12/2017 22:57, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 8 December 2017 22:04:22 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 07/12/2017 15:02, tabbypurr wrote:

On my machine steam comes out of the drawer. YMMV.

We bought a Hoover washing machine some years ago. We ran it with no
clothes in for the first wash, to ensure that any residues from
manufacture and inspection were washed away. It got so hot that the soap
drawer melted from the steam coming up. I told the shop that I wanted
our money back, as we were not willing to have it replaced and would not
trust a machine that obviously had no functional, independent, safety
cut-out.

SteveW

does it need one?

Yes. If, as was demontrated, the machine's microprocessor control can
fail in such as way as to stall the program while leaving the heater
turned on, so that the machine can get hot enough to boil the water and
continue to do so.

We know that, it's kinda obvious. The question was does it need an overheat cutout.

There should be a simple, mechanical, overtemperature
cut-off!

SteveW