Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default isolation transformer

On Friday, 8 December 2017 20:28:25 UTC, wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 01:14:00 -0500, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Unless they didn't want to replace all their existing power tools?

The wiring is US, even if the transformer is only 50%. Not all of our
power tools are 120 VAC. Some are 240, and others are 480 VAC, three phase.

I've always wondered why so many foreign countries have 240volts as
their standard voltage. We in the U.S. do just fine with 120v, except
for heating devices and some very large motors. So why do they continue
to use 240volts in these foreign countries? If for no other reason, it's
considerably more dangerous.....

it's safer and cheaper
It's also barely practical to run a 3kW heating device on 110v. Our 240v 13A delivers 3.1kW per socket no problem.

I know all too well how getting shocked from 120v feels, and although I
have never gotten shocked by 240v, I know it's a lot worse. Both
voltages can kill a person, but I'd think that 240 kills faster...

it sure does. Deaths from electrical fires greatly outnumber electrocutions, and less current reduces the risk of those.

NT